Monday, August 14, 2006

A busy afternoon

Having gotten my daughter a new laptop to take off to college where she starts as a freshman in a couple of weeks, I now have her old laptop, still quite serviceable albeit older, larger, heavier, etc. So I set about setting it up as a system where I can do BK pulls of various MySQL versions, be continuously running and testing new pulls from the 5.1 and 5.2 trees.

The first thing I did was to take the laptop, a Toshiba Satellite with a 30GB hard drive, Celeron processor and 256MB RAM, reformat it and install Slackware 10.2. This is my preferred operating system except for a couple of systems that are rather low on my priority to convert, where it's vital to keep them running as Windows because of a number of applications. I set up the following partitions:
hda1  6.6GB /
hda2 6.6GB /usr
hda3 512MB (swap)
hda4 13.3GB /usr/local
The swap partititon is my standard formula, double the size of the RAM, and located approximately in the center of the drive. This is a bit of a departure from my earlier configurations in which I typically created two data partitions, with hda1 incorporating /, /usr, and /usr/local, but latter partition containing directories symbolically linked into the structure on hda1.

Slackware came up okay. I was a little concerned having hda4's mountpoint being on hda3 having in turn it's mountpoint on hda1, that the mount process might somehow mount the partitions out of order for some reason, or have some other chicken&egg sort of problem.

Then I started the bundled MySQL. This is version 4.1.14 of MySQL, and as has been pointed out elsewhere, it does not start automatically out of the box owing to the fact that the Slackware installation does not run mysql_install_db and also it is required to set the permissions on the data directory to correct the error 13 'permission denied' abort when trying to start MySQL.

I then downloaded and installed bk_client-1.1 and pulled the 5.1 and 5.2 sources. I installed Bison 2.3 to correct the sql_yacc.yy compile error I noted previously, and promptly ran into Bug #21642, reported hours earlier, of the undefined reference to `srv_flush_log_at_trx_commit' error that happens when configure is run with no arguments.

Now I just need to figure out what arguments it is necessary to apply in order to make it build properly.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sheeri said...

Check out http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/MySQL_Build_Farm_Initiative for the build farm initiative -- you should join, your info would be very useful!

Put your info at:
http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/BuildFarmInventory

10:59 AM, August 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home