Monday, July 03, 2006

Switching to RSS

I have finally decided to start using an RSS reader. Recent changes in the MySQL forums' behavior, layout and features have made it hard for me to see what forums have new posts have been made— so I will give the reader a try for a while and see if I like it better. I have subscribed to most of the forums, not that I am knowledgeable in all areas, but I find it interesting to read posts on subjects outside of my direct bailiwick.

So far so good, though I notice the feeds for a couple of MySQL forums aren't working, Database Adminstration and .Net. None of the foreign language feeds are working either, but I expect that is because they are brand new and haven't been posted in yet. I like the format of my chosen RSS client, similar to that of an email program for example the one I am using to peruse the news groups. Ultimately it would be nice to have one client that pulls in everything, but this works for me right now.

I can also follow Planet MySQL in the reader too, though that has been working well enough from the web page.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bob Field said...

I'm using SharpReader, and I seem to have settled in with it fairly well. It has a few idiosyncrasies, but the features seem to outweigh that. It will flag updated posts for example. That functionality was never in the website. I'm adding feeds from other sources as well. Between the RSS reader and the news reader/email, I'm pretty well set for receiving posts. I've added a feed to the mysql bugs site also. I haven't found the need to go back to the website. It will load the original web page of each post for me so I can post my replies, and this has been working very nicely.

5:51 PM, July 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home