Saturday, July 29, 2006

MySQL 5.2

I installed MySQL 5.2 today a la Markus Popp although I note his comment that it may not in fact be any different from 5.1 as yet. I have installed MySQL from source before, in the form of the 5.1 source download package. I did BK pulls of both the 5.1 and 5.2 sources, noticing that they required me to upgrade my Bison compiler, where previous builds of 5.1 worked okay with the version of Bison bundled with Slackware 10.2.

Then I went to install it on my aging Thinkpad only to have the hard drive choose this particular moment to give up the ghost. I happen to like this particular system because when people ask about what sort of footprint to expect, I point out my Thinkpad with the 300 MHz Pentium II, 64MB ram and 10GB harddrive running Slackware, Apache, MySQL and PHP. I've been using it steadily for five years and it was refurbished at that, so I can't be too hard on it. I plan to buy a 60GB replacement drive and possibly some more RAM since it has a slot open, and thereby breathe new life into it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home