Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Now that it's forked ...

Now that the MySQL code base has been forked into Enterprise and Community editions, and things have had time to sort themselves out somewhat, it looks to be pretty much business as usual. The community is as lively as ever in the forums, code fixes are still being pushed to the community tree, etc. There are a few complainers but it seems that you can never please everyone and someone will always find something to beef about. I have been watching the BitKeeper sources, pulling and building nearly every day. Version 5.0 jumps two or sometimes three revisions at a time, I have the strong impression that the skipped numbers have to do with the Enterprise edition. I have not seen any Enterprise source, and I am curious as to when and where this will be available. I also see a lot of activity in 5.1 and some work on 4.1.

Those who need frequent and timely bug fixes basically have two options: subscribe to the Enterprise edition or learn to build from source. Building from source is not rocket science, at least in the Linux world, and I feel it's worthwhile learning how to do this if one wants to be truly proficient and knowledgeable with MySQL.

From my perspective it's pretty much business as usual.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike Kruckenberg said...

"There are a few complainers but it seems that you can never please everyone and someone will always find something to beef about."

What are the complainers complaining about?

I haven't seen much. When I wrote about it a few weeks back I dug around to see if anyone else had raised any questions about it and didn't come across anything.

7:46 AM, December 21, 2006  
Blogger Bob Field said...

I seem to recall one or two people basically badmouthing the product and using that as their reason but I didn't see real substance to their arguments.

Also I see now that there is a BitKeeper tree labeled 5.0-community but I was not able to make a successful build from it. The rev numbers of the regular 5.0 tree seem to match the revs of the 5.0 community snapshots.

7:59 AM, December 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home